Apparently gossamer "summer cashmere" isn't supposed to be put in the washing machine? Aw.
But look at the cute patch I made out of layered squares cut from another, even more broken winter cashmere sweater.
In addition to its criminal flimsiness, the dumb summer sweater also features a disappointing snugness across the belly, which I addressed by adding side slits (ripping out the seams, finish-stitching the edges, and adding a decorative button anchor at the hem).
And it kind of works! The peek-a-boo slits bag a little strangely, and the black of the patch is slightly off from the black of the sweater, but in practice it all comes together passably well. The patches would be better off, I think, if I'd had an entirely different color to work with, chartruese or rust maybe. So I guess all I have to do now is buy some sweaters in a variety of cute colors and ruin them to make patch fodder!