R E S U M E for E V A N Y + T H O M A S
Saturday, mar. 15, 2008 | 3 commentsA PDF version of this résumé is also available. Please email me if you have any questions!
E X P E R I E N C E
9.96 to present
I have written for a wide variety of print and web publications. Clients include:
- Television Without Pity
Regular in-depth recaps of "Desperate Housewives"
- American Girl magazine
Quiz and activity guides
- eLUXURY.com, LVMH's retail site
Catalog copy for high-end clothing, accessories, and beauty products
- Sony Pictures
Tagline copy for promotional posters
- The N, Nickelodeon's site for young teens
what's wrong with this picture?
you will read this
- Wired News, tech industry news site
From Netscape to Nightclub
- Breakup Girl, dating advice site
Hot Coffee, Hot Love
The Cortina Theory
Finding Love in SF
- h2so4, award-winning zine
The Dobler Effect
From re: re: to Real
The Starbucks Stops Nowhere
Putting Down Tracks
Read My Tits
A Happier Place on Earth
- PokerSavvy, poker advice and commentary site
Various articles (either edited or authored by me)
- I also have written a book, The Secret Language of Sleep: A Couple's Guide to the Thirty-Nine Positions.
04 to 05
As an associate editor at McSweeney's, I generated copy for the Quarterly (Issue 17), the website, the catalog of available books, and the next Haggis on Whey book, Animals of the Ocean, in Particular the Giant Squid.
98 to 04
As managing editor of Webmonkey, the original online resource for web developers, I managed a team of editors, writers, and freelance contributors, made sure the friendly tone remained consistent throughout the 500+ pages of the site, and kept the million or so users that visited the site every month happy. I also wrote and wrote and wrote and wrote and wrote and wrote.
96 to 98
While under contract with Microsoft, I wrote weekly "state of the internet" commentary and churned out a daily Dear Abby-esque column under the nom d'advice "Doctor Net" for the site's "One Click Away" channel (here are a few samples).
Director of Content Development
96 to 98
This small web design boutique catered to a wide variety of clients. My responsibilities as director of content development ranged from interface design to site-wide content creation, from information architecture to bare-bones HTML.
95 to 96
I was initially hired as the assistant to the art director of the CD-ROM game Zork: Nemesis. When the Zork project came to a close, I transitioned to a copywriter position and my life became a heady stream of brochures, business proposals, and web content.
E D U C A T I O N
- San Francisco State University, currently pursuing MA in Creative Writing
- Mills College, BA in Communication
- Oxford Polytechnic, junior year abroad, United Kingdom
- UCLA Extension, copywriting
- Western States Advertising Agencies Association, copywriting
- California College of Arts and Crafts, typography